Tuesday, November 29

Are you looking for answers to questions under the stars?


Getting back into the swing of things after break was a lot easier than I thought it would be! Ben treated me to a delicious dinner at Carrabba's Italian Grill Sunday night and I fell head over heels for their Chicken Bryan. The past two days have been busy finishing assignments, catching up on work and attempting to get ahead, as well as hosting an open forum with our college President, Dr. Murphy. Phew!

Everything was going well until life threw me a curve ball today. Well, two actually. This morning I woke up to a phone call that my mom, after being home for almost a month now, was admitted to the hospital. Later this afternoon I learned that she was being transferred back to Boston, where she spent a month from October to November. I also learned that our dog, Ouray, was being given away to a new home. He was such a wild dog; he managed to Houdini his through every fence in our backyard, no matter how many times we reinforced it. A Rottweiler and Black Lab mix, he did scare some people with his loud bark and growls, but he was the sweetest, most lovable dog you could ever meet. He was a gentle giant, but our family could not keep up with him with everything going on. The news absolutely broke my heart because I know how badly we all wanted to keep him and I almost feel guilty that I didn't get to say "goodbye." I pray that his new family will treat him well and let him be the wild thing he is.

Even in all this sadness I feel so lucky to have so many wonderful friends and family, an education, a home. I watched a 60 Minutes episode about families in Florida who were forced to live in cars due to soaring unemployment rates and inadequate space in homeless shelters. It was heart-wrenching to hear children talk about their fears of being robbed or taken away from their parents. One woman, who learned about the hundred or so kids living this way who attend the school she worked in, called on her community for donations to help some of these families stay in hotels. The more this economy begins to worsen and families are facing similar situations of poverty, the more I begin to hear stories about considerate people like this woman who lift my spirits. It is so encouraging to be reminded of the selfless capabilities others posses and the willingness to help someone you barely know.

Do me a favor: before you go to bed tonight, write down (or say to yourself) one person or one moment you were thankful for today. Then tomorrow when you wake up remember what it is you're grateful for and try to say one kind remark or make one thoughtful gesture to someone you don't even know. Day by day of this, I promise, will help you realize all that you do have and begin to worry less and less about all that you don't have.

1 comment: